In a meeting on 31 May 2012, the University Council approved an Environmental Policy for the University of Akureyri. It was furthermore approved that a three-person Environment Council would be appointed for a term of two years at a time and would supervise the implementation of the Policy. Student representatives are appointed for one year at a time.
- Brynhildur Bjarnadóttir, Assistant Professor, Chair
- Stefán Sigurðsson, Assistant Professor
- Kristín Konráðsdóttir, Library Assistant
- Logi Úlfarsson, student, representing the students
- Nanna Lind Stefánsdóttir, student, representing the students
- Sigrún Vala Halldórsdóttir, student, representing the students
- Edward H. Huijbens, Professor
- Margrét Auður Sigurbjörnsdóttir, Project Manager
- Helga Margrét Jóhannesdóttir, student, representing the students
Oddný Baldursdóttir, Maintenance Supervisor, works with the Council
Term of appointment expires 1 August 2018. Appointment period of student representatives is one year at a time.