The role of the Science Council is to provide advice to the University Council and Central Administration on how to strengthen scientific research at the University of Akureyri, cf. Regulations on the Science Council of the University of Akureyri No. 1208/2007.
The tasks of the Science Council are to
- advise the Rector, the University Council, University Assembly and Central Administration on science issues at the University of Akureyri
- promote the shaping and revision of policy on science at the University of Akureyri
- work with the Quality Council towards shaping criteria and parameters used to assess scientific work at the University of Akureyri
- create a better environment for research for lecturers at the University
- Representing the School of Humanities and Social Sciences: Elín Díanna Gunnarsdóttir, Associate Professor, Vice-Chair, alternate: Guðmundur H. Frímannsson, Professor
- Representing the School of Health Sciences: Ragnheiður Harpa Arnardóttir, Associate Professor, alternate: Stefán B. Sigurðsson, Professor
- Representing the School of Business and Science: Rannveig Björnsdóttir, Associate Professor, alternate: Steingrímur Jónsson, Professor
- Representing UNAK students: Eydís Sigurðardóttir Schiöth, student, alternate: Birna Heiðarsdóttir, student
- Appointed by UNAK Rector: Þóroddur Bjarnason, Professor, Chair, alternate: to be nominated
- Joan Nymand Larsen, Assistant Professor, alternate: Bjarni Gautason, manager, ISOR
Term of appointment expires 1 September 2018. The appointment period of students is the school year 2016-2017.