Available position: Assistant Professor of Social Science
The University of Akureyri seeks a 65% Temporary Assistant Professor of Social Science for the Department of Social Science and Law, at the School of Humanities and Social science
Due to leaves and changes in the organisation of the school, a temporary position of assistant professor in social science with the emphasis on research planning is available. The position is 65% of full time employment. The post will be filled for two years starting August 7th, 2018.
A BA degree in Social Sciences comprises general university studies in social science, social anthropology and political science. Students acquire insight into the nature of human society and the dynamic principles of social structure, culture, politics and economy. The University of Akureyri offers a three year BA in social science (180 ECTS) and a two year MA degree (120 ECTS). Social sciences are part of the department of social science and law with a student body of 650 and 28 academic faculty.
The main tasks involve research and teaching, both at undergraduate and masters level, administrative duties, and the development of flexible learning at the department. The immediate supervisor is the Head of the Faculty of Social Sciences and Law. The job location is in Akureyri, Iceland.
Required education and qualifications
- Applicants shall possess knowledge and experience corresponding to international criteria, as confirmed by the opinion of the evaluation committee or by a doctoral degree awarded by a recognised higher education institution, cf. Act on Public Higher Education Institutions No. 85/2008, article 16(1)
- Teaching and administrative experience at university level are desirable qualifications
- The applicant must have good people skills and organisational competence
- The applicant shall, furthermore, be required to participate in the development and implementation of flexible learning in social science
- It is essential that the candidate is able to teach in English and basic knowledge of Icelandic is desirable
- The assessment of applications takes into account how well the applicant concerned satisfies the requirements of social science at the University of Akureyri
The application shall be accompanied by the following documentation
- A detailed account of the applicant’s education and professional career, scientific work, and teaching experience
- The applicant shall present his/her research plans
- Confirmed copies of all relevant diplomas
- Letters of reference concerning the applicant’s teaching and management related work, as appropriate
- Three reference persons shall be designated, one of whom should preferably be the applicant’s immediate supervisor in the present or earlier employment
- The scientific publications considered by the applicant to be his/her best works (up to three publications). If a publication has more than one author, the applicant shall describe his/her contribution to the work
The deadline for applications is June 18, 2018
Applications shall be sent electronically to the Rector‘s Office, email@example.com. No standardized application form is used.
The salary is in accordance with the Collective Agreement on Salaries and Work Conditions of the Union of University Teachers at the University of Akureyri (FHA) and the Minister of Finance.
The handling of applications, assessment of the applicant’s qualifications, and appointment to the position are in accordance with the provisions of the Act on Higher Education Institutions No. 63/2006, the Act on Public Higher Education Institutions no. 85/2008, the Regulations for the University of Akureyri no. 387/2009, with amendments, and the Regulations on the Work of the Evaluation Committee and Hiring of Faculty at the University of Akureyri no. 258/2016. Incomplete applications will be rejected. The University of Akureyri asserts its right to reject all applications. All applications will be responded to, when a decision on appointment has been taken.
More detailed information will be provided by Edward Huijbens, Head of the Faculty of Social Sciences and Law, Tel: 460 8619, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Akureyri promotes gender equality and encourages applications from women as well as men for open positions.