Available position: Assistant, associate or full professor in Fisheries Management
The University of Akureyri advertises a vacancy for a 100% position of assistant, associate or full professor in Fisheries Management at the School of Business and Science
The University of Akureyri is looking for a specialist in fisheries management, with emphasis on fish stock models. Applicants should hold expertise in the field of natural resource sciences related to fisheries and demonstrate research experience. Knowledge within fields related to Icelandic fisheries is desirable. The position is available from August 1st, 2018.
The term of office is up to five years, after that the candidate can request a permanent position, according to Regulations no. 258/2016 on the Work of the Evaluation Committee and Hiring of Faculty at the University of Akureyri. A promotion can be considered on employment should the successful candidate be considered qualified as associate professor or full professor by the Evaluation Committee.
The main responsibilities are teaching and research in fields related to fisheries, along with participating in the development of graduate studies at the Faculty and School of Business and Science. The immediate supervisor is the Head of the Faculty of Natural Resource Sciences. The job location is in Akureyri, North-Iceland.
The School of Business and Science has 26 faculty members and over 500 students, thereof twelve faculty members and around 150 students at the faculty of Natural Resource Sciences. The faculty offers an undergraduate program of 180 ECTS in fisheries science, in close collaboration with the Icelandic fisheries industry and other food industries. The undergraduate program is taught in a form of blended learning in which the teaching and learning resources are distributed across a range of media types and communication styles. The School of Business and Science also offers research-based masters and doctoral studies.
Required education and qualifications
- The applicant shall possess knowledge and experience corresponding to international criteria for the title in question in the relevant academic discipline, as confirmed by the opinion of the evaluation committee or by a doctoral degree in fisheries economics or marine resource management related to fisheries, awarded by a recognized higher education institution.
- Research experience in the field of fisheries science and supporting fields is required. A comprehensive knowledge in other fields of natural resource utilization and management is furthermore desirable. Teaching experience at university level and experience from the labour sector or government operations are desirable.
- Good social skills and organisational competences are required.
- It is essential that the candidate is able to teach in English and basic knowledge of Icelandic is desirable.
- In evaluating applications, it will be considered to what extent the candidate fulfils the strategic vision of the School of Business and Science and the University of Akureyri.
The application shall be accompanied by the following documentation
- A detailed account of the applicant‘s education and professional career, scientific work, and teaching experience.
- The applicant shall present his/her research plans in case of engagement.
- Confirmed copies of all appropriate diplomas.
- Letters of reference concerning the applicant‘s teaching and management related work, as appropriate.
- Three reference persons shall be designated, one of whom should preferably be the applicant‘s immediate supervisor in the present or earlier employment.
- The scientific publications considered by the applicant to be his/her best works (up to three publications). If a publication has more than one author, the applicant shall describe his/her contribution to the work.
The deadline for applications is June 1st 2018
Applications and additional documents shall be sent electronically to the Rector’s office at email@example.com. A standardized application form is not used.
Salaries are according to the collective agreement between the Union of University Teachers in Akureyri (FHA) and the Minister of Finance.
The handling of applications, assessment of the applicant´s qualifications, and appointment to the position are in accordance with the provisions of the Act on Higher Education Institutions No. 63/2006, the Act on Public Higher Education Institutions No. 85/2008, the Regulations for the University of Akureyri no. 387/2009 and the Regulations No. 258/2016 on the Work of the Evaluation Committee and Hiring of Faculty at the University of Akureyri. Incomplete applications will be rejected. The University of Akureyri asserts its right to reject all applications. All applications will be responded to, when a decision on the appointment has been made.
Detailed information will be given by Rannveig Björnsdóttir, Dean of the School of Business and Sciences, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Akureyri promotes gender equality and encourages applications from women as well as men for open positions.