At the University of Akureyri we are receiving an increasing number of exchange students every year. All of these have found the opportunity of studying in the capital of North Iceland attractive for many reasons.
An exchange student is a student who comes to Akureyri through an exchange program such as Nordplus, Erasmus, North2North, or through a bilateral agreement between the University of Akureyri and
the student's home institution. Free movers are not accepted.
If a student wants to come through the Norwegian Financial Mechanism Programme (EEA-grant) their home university has to have a bilateral agreement with the University of Akureyri. If there is a bilateral agreement at hand the students pertain to same conditions as a regular exchange student.
- Exchange students: 15th of May for autumn semester and the full academic year (non- EU/EEA students 15th April) and 1st of November for spring semester (non EU/EEA students 1 October).
At the University of Akureyri the principal language of instruction is Icelandic. Textbooks are mainly in English and Icelandic. Most schools offer some courses in English and some faculties allow international students to take their examinations in English during the first semester of study. This is, however, always subject to the approval of each school and individual instructors.
Below you will find links to specific information for exchange students.
- Exchange Student Application
- Courses Offered in English
- Handbook for Exchange and visiting students
- Information Sheet 11/12
- Buddy system - Facebook
- Study in Iceland
Intensive Language Preparation Course in Icelandic for Exchange students is hosted by the University Center of the West Fjords in north-west Iceland. Duration: August 6-25, 2012. Application deadline is the 29th May 2012 Application form and Information here and at http://studyiniceland.is/page/ilpc
Inform the National Registry of your departure
All international students need to go the National Registry (where you applied for your Icelandic ID number) before leaving Iceland with the form Notification of Change of Address in Iceland, which can be downloaded from http://www.skra.is/pages/1047 . This indicates a change of address in Iceland; there is no form yet available for people moving from Iceland. You can also fax this form to +354 569 2949 after leaving Iceland, but it is advised to do this before leaving.
Other information is under:
- Information about curriculum is under "Education"
- Courses offered in English the academic year 2012-2013 here.
- General information about the University of Akureyri is under "About UNAK"
- General Information about Iceland, the town of Akureyri, schools and student services is under "Prospective Students"
Please contact the International Office if you have problems finding information. The telephone number is: +354 460 8035 and e-mail: international(at)unak.is.