Institute of Health Science Research
Institute of Health Science Research, is a joint platform for both UNAK academic staff and SAk employies to reinforce research in health science. IHSR main role is, among other things:
- To reinforce Akureyri Hospital (SAk) as a research and teaching hospital
- To promote more research activity
- To collaborate the information and library service
- To strengthen the collaboration at IT and computer services
- To jointly organize forums
On Monday the 7th of October 2002, an agreement on cooperation was signed with the District General Hospital in Akureyri (FSA) where FSA is defined as a university hospital. Today, referred to as Akureyri Hospital (SAk). Halldór Jónsson, Hospital Director, signed the agreement on behalf of FSA, and Þorsteinn Gunnarsson, Rector, on behalf of the University of Akureyri. The agreement on cooperation discloses, among other things, that the parties to it agree on the establishment of a research institute within the Faculty of Health Sciences of UNAK. The institute is to be known as the Institution of Health Science Research (HHA), University of Akureyri. The agreement includes, among other things, provisions on the role of the institute and the demands made of its staff. In continuation of the agreement, a regulation was prepared relating to the Institution of Health Science Research.
The University Council of UNAK agreed on the regulations applicable to HHA on 20 June 2003, published as regulation no. 876 on 20 November in 2003.
The first staff members of the institution apart from management members were hired in spring of 2004. These employees are Þorvaldur Ingvarsson, Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeon and Medical Director at Akureyri General District Hospital, appointed to a Professorial post, and Alexander Smárason, Specialist in Gynaecology, appointed to the post of Senior Lecturer. In the year 2006 Björn Gunnarsson, Specialist in Paediatrics and Paediatric Intensive Care, and Brynjólfur Ingvarsson, Specialist in Psychiatry, were appointed Lecturers at the institution for terms of three years. In other words the institute now has filled one Professorial position, one of Senior Lecturer and two Lecturer positions.
- Bjarni S. Jónasson, Chief Executive Officer, Chairman of board, SAk
- Eyjólfur Guðmundsson, Rector, UNAK
- Eydís Kr. Sveinbjarnardóttir, Dean, School af Health Science, UNAK
- Hildigunnur Svavarsdóttir, Director of Nursing and Director of Emergency Services-, Education- and Quality Control, SAk
- Sigfríður Inga Karlsdóttir, Associate Professor, Faculty of Nursing, UNAK
- Sigurður E. Sigurðsson, Medical Director and Director of Surgical Services, SAk
- Ásdís Ýr Arnardóttir, Director