Exchange Student Application
Application process for prospective exchange students
1. Apply for exchange studies at your home university.
2. Ask the international coordinator at your home university to nominate you for exchange studies at the University of Akureyri by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and requesting access to the online nomination form. The deadline to nominate students is two weeks prior to the application deadline.
3. After we receive your nomination we will e-mail you with detailed information on the application process and give you access to the online application form. Please make sure that the e-mail address email@example.com will not be blocked by your junk mail filter.
4. After receiving the e-mail about the application process you should fill in the application online. A signed and printed version of the application is NOT required but a copy of passport along with your transcript of records must be included for the online application to be valid. This must be an original copy of your transcript of records in English or a Nordic language (DK, NO, SE, IS).
5. Submit the application along with your transcript of records before the respective deadline.
6. Applications are evaluated by the school/faculty that you apply to and you can expect an informal response to your application by e-mail no later than 15 June (spring semester, 30 November). Formal acceptance packets will be sent soon after; they will include the Handbook for Exchange and Visiting Students which you are required to read carefully to prepare for your stay in Iceland.
7. The International Office assists exchange students in finding housing for the academic year/semester. Accepted exchange students will receive a housing offer prior to their arrival. All rooms have access to a kitchen and bathroom. All further information on accommodation is available here.
Applications missing any of the required documents when the application deadline has passed cannot be considered. Late applications cannot be considered.
Application deadlines for exchange students:
- 15 May for the autumn semester and full academic year (non-EU/EEA students 15 April)
- 1 November for the spring semester (non-EU/EEA students 1 October).